Kirkland SchoolPool is a program in partnership with the City of Kirkland, local schools, and King County Metro to carry out Safe Routes to School efforts. SchoolPool is a way for cities and schools to make it safer, easier and more fun for families to get to school by walking, rolling (such as biking, using a wheelchair, scooting) or carpooling.
The trip to school is a great time to connect with neighbors, try a new way of getting around while reducing traffic congestion and increasing safety around schools.
SchoolPool Programs & Activities
- Walk & Roll to School month (October)
- Forming a Walking School Bus
- Bike to School month (May) – local and national available resources
- Art Contests
How to get involved in SchoolPool
Interested in routinely walking, biking, or carpooling to and/or from school with other families?
- Connect with your school administration or PTA to see if your school is participating or to ask for school participation.
- Sign up on Kirkland’s RideShareOnline SchoolPool tool to join in an existing group or to form a new group. This is a free, safe and secure web-based tool that matches families with students at the same or nearby schools who wish to travel together by walking or biking groups or carpooling.
- Register for a City of Kirkland SchoolPool account: Online or by PDF Download
- Find Your Matches
- Log your SchoolPool trips online or on a printed calendar (middle school calendar, elementary school calendar).
- Enjoy earning rewards!
King County Metro Resources
- King County Metro Safe Routes to School and SchoolPool Website: Learn about Safe Routes and SchoolPool programs in King County, with access to a variety of resources to support Safe Routes to School in your area.
- King County Metro Safe Routes to School Toolkit: An easy-to-use guide that includes everything you need to develop and carry out your own Safe Routes to School program at your school.
- King County Metro Safe Routes to School Coalition-Building Guidebook: This Guidebook outlines a step-by-step process to create, implement, and sustain a team of engaged volunteers to lead local Safe Routes to School Efforts.
- King County Metro SchoolPool: Learn more about current SchoolPool efforts across the county, including a brief informational video describing the program and resources.